Job Position: Sous Chef
1. Reports to:
2. Gives instruction to:
Chefs/Breakfast Staff Chefs/Stewarding
3. Basic Function
The Sous Chef is responsible to assist the Head Chef for overall kitchen operation as a successful independent profit center, ensuring maximum guest satisfaction, through planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the Kitchen operation and administration.
Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Also assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced.
• Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in similar positions
• Education: High School degree
• Languages: Minimum Proficiency in English (speaking)
• Friendliness with the Guests and Employees
• Flexibility in schedule
• Energetic and dynamic Personality
• Very good knowledge of HACCP
6. Duties & Responsibilities
In all actions the Sous Chef must respect and adhere to the goals, values, principles and conditions determined by the philosophy of MK Hotels
7. Key Tasks
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Able to make recommendations to the head Chef regarding succession planning.
• To ensure that guests are always receiving an exceptional dining experience representing true value for money.
• Ensure that all recipes and product yields are accurately costed and reviewed regularly.
• Ensure that all food items are prepared as per standard recipe cards whilst maintaining portion control and minimizing waste.
• Ensure that food stock levels within the culinary department areas are of sufficient quantity and quality in relevance to the hotel occupancy and function forecasts.
• Ensure that associate meals and associate dining services are of a consistently high standard.
• Ensure that chefs are always in clean tidy uniforms and are always presentable to be in guest view.
• Ensure that all food preparation equipment is being used safety and correctly and that it is cleaned and maintained.
• Ensure that all culinary operations manuals are prepared and updated.
• Ensure that the Department’s overall operational budgets are strictly adhered too.
• Ensure that the culinary department adheres to all company and hotel policies and procedures.
• Creative menu planning and correct food preparation for each outlets including banquets.
• To work in close conjunction with the Food and Beverage Service Manager and respective & teams, to create a yearly marketing Plan for the outlet in absence of the Head chef
• Be aware of new items, which are introduced onto the market and keep up with the lasted product trends.
• To fully understand the market needs and desires for each outlet and ensure that the menus are developed to reflect those needs.
• To initiate relevant maintenance reports and work orders supported by the respective follow up of those items actioned.
• Responsible for the supervision of all stewards and their activities within the culinary department.
• To delegate responsibilities to subordinates as required.
• To act as manager on duty for the hotel as scheduled.
• Responsible for staff food quality and menu
• Ability to perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy; prioritize, organize and follow up all job related duties; follow directions thoroughly and maintain good judgment and attitude while resolving problems; maintain punctual attendance and work with minimal supervision
9. Other demands
• Due to the nature of the hotel industry, the employee may be required to work varying schedules reflective of the needs of the hotel
• Attendance to all scheduled training sessions and meeting is required
• Upon employment, all employees must fully comply with MKHT rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel and its facilities
• Employees who violate rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including the termination of employment
• The employee must be well informed of :
o Hotel Fire, Bomb and Emergency procedures
o Hotel health and safety policies or procedures
o Hotel facilities and nearby sights of interest and importance (i.e hospitals, stations, tourist sights )
o Current licensing relating to own department
o Short and long term marketing and promotional programs of corporate and the hotel
o Corporate clients and clients generating high business volume
• All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per MKHT standards
This position description is not an exclusive or final list of all job functions that an employee of this position may be asked to perform from time to time. This is subject to changes and can be updated upon further notice.